Tip: When documenting a bloodborne pathogen exposure incident, do not forget to document the circumstances surrounding the incident. This is not only required by the Standard, it helps to determine if policy was being followed and what might need to be changed.
Documentation must include:
- Engineering controls and work practices in use at the time of the incident
- A description of the device being used, including type and brand
- Protective equipment being worn at the time
- Location and procedure being performed when the incident occurred
- Employee’s training status at the time of the incident