A hazardous waste generator, by rule, is an entity, by site, whose acts or processes generate (produce or bring about) a solid waste that is:
- listed in the hazardous waste regulations,
- determined to be a characteristically hazardous, or
- otherwise identified as a hazardous waste.
There are different levels of regulation for facilities that generate different volumes of hazardous waste (HW) on a monthly basis. The regulations are based on the three categories of Generators:
- Very small quantity generators (VSQGs) – renamed in this rule (previously called “conditionally exempt small quantity generators (CESQGs))
- Small quantity generators (SQGs)
- Large quantity generators (LQGs)
The quantities that are permitted to be generated per Generator Classification have remained the same.
Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG)
- IN ANY MONTH, generates < 220 lbs./month (if acute or P-listed, < 2.2 lbs./month)
- Stores < 2,200 lbs. (if acute or P-listed, <2.2 lbs.)
Small Quantity Generator (SQG)
- IN ANY MONTH, generates between 220 & 2,200 lbs./month (if acute or P-listed, < 2.2 lbs./month)
- Stores up to 13,200 pounds (if acute or P-listed, < 2.2 lbs.)
Large Quantity Generator (LQG)
- IN ANY MONTH, generates > 2,200 lbs. (if acute or P-listed, > 2.2 lbs./month)
- Stores > 13,200 lbs. (if acute or P-listed, > 2.2 lbs.)
|Generator Category||Number of Facilities||Total Hazardous Waste Generated (tons)||Percent of Total Hazardous Waste Generated|
|VSQGs||353,400 – 591,800||46,000–148,000||<1%|
|Total||424,100 – 676,900||35.3–35.4 million||100%|
Based upon the definition and the Generator Classification quantity of HW generation thresholds, it is interesting to look at the entire universe of HW generators in the United States. There are certainly many more VSQG-sized generators based upon biennial report and state data from 2013. However, even though there are considerably fewer LQGs, this Generator Classification generates 99% of the HW in the United States!
Sharps Compliance provides hazardous waste disposal services. Contact Sharps Compliance at 800.772.5657.
Latest posts by Joe Jordan (see all)
- Sharps Compliance’s White Paper Explains the EPA’s New Hazardous Waste Pharmaceutical Rule – Is Your Facility Ready? - October 9, 2019
- EPA’s New Pharmaceutical Rule – Takes Effect 08/21/19 - August 23, 2019
- P-Listed Hazardous Waste - July 23, 2019